Every other day we witness advances in technology that leave us in awe over how far we have come. The market is saturated with numerous cutting-edge electronics that have amazing features, and one such invention has to be the Wi-Fi SD cards. These SD cards are not your typical storage cards as they are embedded with antennae that allow them to connect to a user’s device without necessarily having to insert the SD card into the device’s SD slot. The Wi-Fi SD card broadcasts from its network to a variety of gadgets that have Wi-Fi connectivity. We conducted a thorough research trying and testing some of the Wi-Fi SD cards and created a list containing some of the best Wi-Fi SD cards in the market that you should consider acquiring.
Toshiba FlashAir 4th Generation
Equipped with WebDAV and Station mode with upload, the Toshiba FlashAir 4th Gen is one of the best Wi-Fi SD cards simply because it is easy to use and has some impressive transfer speeds. Users can easily drag and drop their photos and videos from a variety of devices. The SD card is high quality and uses an app which facilitates the transfer process and through which they can receive support. Users can opt to get the card in several different sizes, i.e., 16, 32, and 64 GB depending on what they find to be sufficient for them.
- There is an app that customers/ owners can use to receive instructions and support on any issues they may be experiencing.
- At 30 MB/s this SD card has a much faster transfer speed than what you get with the typical wireless transfer speeds.
- Its read and write speeds are incredibly
- Up to 7 people at a time can connect onto the SD card, which makes it easy to share media amongst friends.
- Several customers complained that they had problems with updating software.
- Accessing the support app has occasionally proven to be challenging.
Eyefi Mobi Pro 32GB WiFi SDHC Card
With the Eyefi Mobi Pro card users can wirelessly transfer JPEG and RAW videos and images from your camera to other devices as they are being captured. To use the Eyefi Mobi Pro card users must connect to the card’s app which can be used with more than 50 Wi-Fi-enabled cameras from different brands such as GoPro, Canon, and Nikon. The SD card synchronizes all your original pictures and makes them available anytime, anywhere, regardless of whether you are online or offline.
- You receive 1-year of unlimited, free, and secure cloud storage upon purchase of the Eyefi Mobi Pro.
- Users are not restricted to the camera type they can use as they have a choice of over 50 camera types.
- The SD card can also be used with other external storage devices.
- The card does not compress videos and images, but it saves the photos and up to 300 videos exactly as they are in full resolution
- The card’s software support is extremely limited, which is rather inconveniencing given that there are no usage instructions included in the package.
- It is not compatible with all transfer apps and software.
Transcend 32 GB WiFi SDHC Class 10 Memory Card
Bragging a Class 10 performance label, this Wi-Fi-enabled SD card from transcend supports several media formats including BMP, MOV, PNG MP4, amongst others. The card has decent transfer speeds that average between 13 MB/s and 17 MB/s and works by connecting to a device either through a browser connection or through the app. Like with the Eyefi Mobi Pro, Transcend’s app has an Exclusive Shoot and View mode that allows users to see every picture captured on your computer in real-time. The SD card’s wireless connection supports 802.11g, 802.11n, and 802.11b connections within a 32 feet range to avoid experiencing any issues.
- It allows for up to 3 guys to connect to the device at the same time.
- It is compatible with both Android and iOS-based devices as well as Linux, Windows, and Mac operating systems.
- It is available in three different sizes, i.e., 64, 32 and 16 GB
- While it is a good SD card, users intending to shoot 4K videos would be best suited using other cards with better transfer speeds.
- It is expensive.
Ez Share WIFI SDHC 32GB Class 10
The ez Share SD card is a one of a kind card, intended to take full advantage of the efficacy of a device’s battery. As a class 10 device, this card has some impressive transfer speeds of up to 10MB/s for writes and an average of between 15 and 19 MB/s for reads. It has an auto-push function that enables users to automatically transfer files and download selections, batches or a whole directory manually from the card.
- It does not drain a device’s battery like most of the other Wi-Fi enabled SD cards.
- It allows for multiple user access (up to 5), which facilitates the accessibility of pictures and video by different individuals.
- You do not have to buy any additional support apps as they are included as part of the card’s cost.
- The card supports storage of up to 31RAW formats along with other formats such as JPG.
- It has an inbuilt Wi-Fi hotspot.
- Some users may find the additional functions included in the eZ Share SD cards to be somewhat confusing.
- It lacks a Wi-Fi pass-through feature that most of its competitors have.
Even though they are not a mainstream product, the Wi-Fi SD cards have been around for a long while and are particularly popular with videographers and photographers. Manufacturers have been able to boost the functionality of SD cards, and now the Wi-fi enabled SD cards store even more data than they previously did. If you had never thought of getting yourself one you should certainly consider any one of the ones mentioned in our list above and rid yourself of the chore that is physically connecting your SD card to your phone.