It doesn’t matter whether you’re a PC or Mac user, an SSD or external hard drive is extremely important especially if you’re in the creative industry where large files are a key part of the job and the likelihood of that you will need to expand your storage are high. An external hard drive comes in handy a lot of the times, so users do not have to fiddle around with upgrading their device’s internal hard drive. To make sure that you are not slowed down by the lack of space, we compiled a quick list of the best hard drives in the market today.
Buffalo MiniStation Extreme NFC
If you are more concerned about keeping your data and information secure, then the Buffalo ministration should be your go-to drive. This is because unlike a lot of drives that rely on passwords for protection this one has hardware encryption that can only be unlocked with its unique NFC technology making it inaccessible to anyone else apart from the owner of the data. With a transfer rate of 80 MB/s, and up to 5 GB/s with the integrated wrap-around USB 3.0 cable.
- It is dust and water-resistant, making it almost impossible for a user to lose their data because the drive was compromised by external factors.
- Users can opt for to get the drive in either 1 or 2 terabytes.
- It is extremely secure thanks to its unique NFC system that unlocks it all while ensuring hardware encryption.
- It is equipped with shock protection.
- It is affordable.
- It is not the easiest drive to use and requires some research to ensure that a user understands how it works. Some users complained that the manual was not helpful.
- Several users have complained that they experienced challenges when they tried to connect the Buffalo Ministation to their Mac computers.
G-Technology’s G-Drive Mobile Pro SSD
If you care about the speed of an external hard drive, then the G-Drive for G-technology should be among your choices as it’s the fastest drive in the market. Built with a silicon, rubbery casing, this device will knock your socks right off as it has some incredible transfer speeds of 2800 megabytes per second. This drive is so good that users could effortlessly edit an 8K video straight off the drive. The drive is compatible with both Mac and PC and brags specs such as a Thunderbolt 3 port, 3-meter drop protection, internal aluminum casing for extra protection amongst others.
- It has, high transfer rates that most of the other drives are incapable of matching.
- It is available in different size options.
- Users receive a 5-year manufacturer’s warranty.
- It is built to resist a majority of shocks and protect a user’s data
- It has an easy drive removal system.
- It is pretty expensive, but depending on your budget, we feel that it is certainly worth the cost and delivers value for money.
LaCie Rugged Raid Pro
The LaCie Rugged Raid Pro is a beloved external drive which is hard to miss thanks to its stark orange casing. Chances are that, and you’ve probably seen it with a lot of video editors. This HDD drive is rugged and brags features such as an integrated SD Card Reader, USB – C 3.0 Interface, 4-foot drop resistance, 1-ton crush resistance, and transfer speeds of 24 megabytes per second. The LaCie drives enable users to effortlessly edit and transfer RAW and 4K videos all while keeping the files secure which is why a lot of video editors prefer it over other devices. This hard drive is perfect for individuals who are constantly on the move and consider themselves to be clumsy as the drive’s rubber casing comes in handy during times of extreme activity.
- It can be used in any environment as it is water and dustproof.
- It is compatible with both PC and Macs
- Users receive a hard-shell casing for carrying the drive around when they need to.
- It is Thunderbolt, USB-C, and USB 3.0 Ready.
- The drives orange casing may be unappealing to a lot of users.
Samsung T5 Portable SSD
With fast data transfer speeds of up to 540 megabytes per second, this Samsung drive is extremely impressive. It puts its USB 3.1 specs to great use as it is compatible with both Mac and PC. It brags a metal casing that ensures that the device is durable. Users can easily ensure their data is secure with the two data protection options that it offers. With the T5, users will be able to effectively and effortlessly edit, save and load 4K video, straight off the drive without any issues. With the T5 SSD video editors can access their information instantaneously without wasting as much time as they would if they were using a HDD.
- It is available in four different color casings ad a user can opt for whichever one matches their style. Its sleek elegant design will certainly look good on any editor’s desk.
- It offers great performance and high storage capacity.
- It comes with a 3-year warranty.
- It has an optional password protection option to complement the AES 256-bit hardware encryption.
- It is extremely portable
- It is somewhat pricey.
Overall, any qualified video editor needs to choose the right storage solution for their data/ files because, with a good drive, anything is achievable without the need to worry about their machine’s capacity. A good external hard drive takes away the pressure from an editor’s computer, ensuring that I remain in its optimum condition. Any of the external hard drives discussed above are capable of achieving this fete and so much more. They enable proper data management, quick and secure data transfer, and protection from external forces, and falls. If you’re in the market for the best external hard drive for video editing, you should certainly consider any of the ones mentioned above.